Tuesday, February 13, 2007

XBOX 360 vs. Playstation 3

Well, I have to say that when I first bought the 360 I did have my doubts as to if I purchased the best next gen gaming console or if I should have waited for the PS3. There has been a bunch of name calling and finger pointing at both consoles as to whether or not they are worth the high price tag. Some people are die hard XBOX fans or PS fans but I am a "good game" fan. I could give a rats fat backside as to who's dad can beat up who's dad. All I care about is what games will come out on which console and will those games be worth my money. The future is online gaming so I better get games with that capability. First of all, I have to admit that the PS3 does have some nice things to offer but most of those things have little to do with games. As I read the 13 page attack on the PS3 in this months issue of EGM I have to admit that it seems that the console seems to be getting quite the negative response since launch. I find it hard to swallow a $600 price tag for "future possibilities". Its like spending 100 grand on a sports car with a huge engine compartment and the seller telling you "We hope to fill that space with a great engine in the near future, but hey, at least it runs". My feeling is that you should get what you pay for, and $600 to be able to play blue ray (which you need a great TV to take advantage of anyhoo) is not a great deal. Especially when you look at the games to come out this year for the PS3. Who cares about Final Fantasy XIII!? Who cares about Virtual Fighter 45!? Or Metal Gear Solid 104!? You pay $600 biznones for the future of gaming, it better have AWESOME games, superb graphics far exceeding those of the other consoles (not just on paper but actual visual differences that knock my socks off) and a special glowing button that when I push it, out comes a virtual gorilla named Jeeves that will play games with me and will go get a juice box and nachos for me when I tell him to.
I think that the PS3 has lost some huge ground and is no longer the gaming juggernaut that it used to be. Its hold on game makers for sole rights on great games has become a thing of the past. Its huge moneymaker "GTA" is no longer theirs to brag about. If you want to be a great gaming console, you need to make it playable online. That is the "future of gaming" and XBOX holds on to that title. XBOX Live is the best online gaming experience 2nd to actual PC online game play. Although it has a monthly fee, I have played online on PS2 and it is a sub par online experience to say the least. They have a long way to go to reach the arena of XBOX Live, and if and when they do, I doubt it will be free. You get what you pay for. Unless you purchased a PS3.
So did I make the right choice? YES. Will I ever buy a PS3...probably, but only when it is worth the price. Want to know the secret to how to get people to buy your games? Its about great games people! Not who has the prettiest pictures! Its nice to finally have more than one big kid on the block making games. After all, competition brings better product. As a product buyer, that is a great thing.

No comments:

Jeez....I need to update this blog eh???

Ok, so I keep saying I will update this thing, and I don't.  I HAVE BEEN ONE BUSY SUCKAFOO!  A quick overview: Our tomato plants grew ...